TOTTENHAM have suffered a huge injury blow with Heung-Min Son set to be out until February.

The Spurs star was subbed in the 79th minute during their 2-0 defeat away to Chelsea in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg.

Alamy

Son will not return for Spurs until February due to a muscle injury[/caption]

But boss Antonio Conte has revealed this was NOT because of injury, which was only picked up by the medical team a day later.

Following a scan on Son’s leg after the player complained of muscle discomfort, he will now miss the next month – returning after the upcoming international break.

Conte said: “It was a strange situation against Chelsea, I made 2 subs together, Lucas Moura and Son, but not for injury, only to try to give them some rest, 15 minutes of rest.

“But then the day after he felt a bit of pain in his muscle in his leg and he had a scan and now we have to make the right evaluation from the doctor. It is an injury.

“I don’t know but probably they could stay without a training session until the end of this cycle before the international break.”

Son will now likely miss the return Carabao Cup semi-final leg, as well as key games against Arsenal, Leicester and Chelsea in the Premier League.


His return game could be against Southampton on February 9.

Son has scored nine goals and provided five assists in 25 matches so far this season.

Spurs face an uphill task if they are to reach the final of the Carabao Cup, trailing Chelsea by two goals ahead of the second leg at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday.

And Conte admits there is currently a significant gap in quality between the teams.

He said: “If you compare the two teams there is not a comparison. We are talking about a team ready to win – today we have seen the difference between the two teams.

“It is not easy to play at Stamford Bridge, the way they were very concentrated, they won the ball every time and then we conceded also a goal we were unlucky.

“When you start the game and after a few minutes they score, for sure the game becomes very difficult.

“But, I know the situation, it is very clear in this moment there is an important gap.

“We have to try to fight to stay in the league in a good position, but if we think we are close, I think we are not in the right way.”

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

Despite the poor display in the Carabao Cup, in the Premier League the North London outfit have improve their results significantly since Conte arrived in November.

The Lilywhites are unbeaten in eight league matches since the Italian manager kicked off with a goalless draw away at Everton.

Next up for Conte’s men is a clash at home to Morecambe in the third round of the FA Cup on Sunday.

⚽ Read our Transfer News Live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals